Twitter is a powerful social media platform that can be used to promote small businesses online. With its 330 million active users and fast-paced nature, it is an ideal platform for small businesses to reach potential customers, engage with existing ones, and build brand awareness. In this article, we will discuss how small businesses can use Twitter to promote their business online in 2023. Twitter’s real-time engagement capabilities allow small businesses to interact with their customers in real-time. This means businesses can quickly respond to customer inquiries, concerns, and feedback, building stronger relationships with their customers.
According to a recent survey, 63% of small businesses use social media as a marketing tool. Twitter is one of the most popular social media platforms, with 62% of businesses using it for marketing purposes. Furthermore, 85% of businesses that use Twitter say it is important for customer service
Twitter is cost-effective for small businesses. Unlike traditional advertising, Twitter is free to use, and businesses can reach a significant audience through organic reach. Additionally, Twitter’s advertising options are relatively affordable, allowing small businesses to promote their products or services to a targeted audience without breaking the bank.
Some Examples of Successful Twitter Campaigns
- Wendy’s – The fast-food chain Wendy’s is known for its witty and humorous tweets. In 2017, the company launched a Twitter campaign called #NuggsForCarter. The campaign was started by a high school student named Carter Wilkerson, who asked Wendy’s how many retweets he would need to get free chicken nuggets for a year. Wendy’s responded with a challenge: 18 million retweets. Although Carter didn’t reach the target, the campaign went viral, and Wendy’s received a lot of attention and positive publicity.
- Dollar Shave Club – Dollar Shave Club is a subscription-based service that delivers razors and grooming products to its customers. The company has a strong presence on Twitter and often engages with its followers. In 2018, Dollar Shave Club launched a Twitter campaign called #RazorsByDSC. The campaign asked followers to tweet a photo of their old razor with the hashtag #RazorsByDSC. In exchange, the company would send them a new razor. The campaign was a huge success and generated a lot of engagement.
Common Mistakes Small Businesses Make on Twitter
- Not engaging with followers – One of the biggest mistakes small businesses make on Twitter is not engaging with their followers. Twitter is a social platform, and it’s important to interact with your audience. Respond to their tweets, answer their questions, and acknowledge their feedback.
- Over-promoting – Another common mistake small businesses make on Twitter is over-promoting their products or services. While it’s important to promote your business, it’s also important to provide value to your followers. Share industry news, tips, and other relevant content that your audience will find useful.
- Not using hashtags – Hashtags are an important part of Twitter and can help your tweets reach a wider audience. Use relevant hashtags in your tweets, but don’t overdo it. Too many hashtags can make your tweets look spammy.
Some ways that small businesses can use Twitter to promote their business in 2023
- Build a Strong Profile: Your Twitter profile is the first impression your potential customers will have of your business. Make sure to include your logo, cover photo, and a brief bio that clearly states what your business is about. Use keywords and hashtags that are relevant to your industry to help users find your profile.
- Engage with Your Followers: Engage with your followers by responding to their tweets, retweeting their content, and asking for their feedback. This will help build a relationship with your audience and show them that you value their opinions.
- Share Relevant Content: Share relevant content that is valuable to your audience. This could include industry news, tips, and how-to guides. Make sure to include relevant hashtags in your tweets to increase your reach.
- Use Twitter Ads: Twitter ads can be a powerful tool for small businesses to reach a wider audience. Twitter offers a variety of ad formats, including promoted tweets, promoted accounts, and promoted trends. You can target your ads to specific audiences based on interests, location, and demographics.
- Collaborate with Influencers: Collaborating with influencers in your industry can help increase your reach and build your brand awareness. Find influencers that are relevant to your industry and reach out to them to see if they would be interested in promoting your business.
- Run Twitter Contests: Running a Twitter contest can help increase engagement and build excitement around your business. Offer a prize that is relevant to your business and ask users to retweet or reply to your tweet to enter the contest.
Twitter can be a valuable tool for small businesses to promote their business in 2023. By building a strong profile, engaging with followers, sharing relevant content, using Twitter ads, collaborating with influencers, and running Twitter contests, small businesses can increase their reach and build their brand awareness on this powerful social media platform.